JGYCustoms Forums  

Go Back   JGYCustoms Forums > Our Community > Vehicle Maintenence and Cleaning

Vehicle Maintenence and Cleaning you are dirty, clean now

Old 09-25-2008, 09:59 PM

Richard "Sexual" Carper is on a distinguished road
Default Waterless Wash?

So while on vacation with my best friend. We were traveling the country in his dad's Coach. And we stopped off at an RV park and there was a guy there selling a waterless wash spray... His dad is always looking for new products he might seem to like, and this past weekend we finally used it... To me it wouldn't keep up to par with my standards of "clean" but it seemed like it would be a good protectant, or finisher... I was wondering if this was common to waterless cleaners or just maybe this one was crap... Let me know...

Old 09-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Old School Sentra Owner Attitude

ShamROCK is on a distinguished road
Cool

Well....

You get what you pay for, and nothing worth having comes easy, blah, blah, blah...

I can see how something like that could make your car shine...but I don't see how that could maintain your finish for years to come. There is just something about water and suds that can't be duplicated or avoided for that matter when it comes to keeping a pristine clean exterior.

First of all, when washing with suds and a hose:
- the first step is to gently wet the entire vehicle. this rinses away surface soil and softens up the hard stuff. it's preliminary to actually cleaning the car and believe that it is necessary.

- second a soft wet sponge with a car wash solution is needed to gently remove the dirt that is remaining after the rinse. A car wash solution is needed as opposed to dishwashing liquid, or who knows what else someone might try because car soap is specially formulated to protect the finish while being just harsh enough to remove road grime. dishwashing liquid can be too harsh because it most often includes various detergents to remove oils from your dirty dishes (I don't wash dishes for this reason, and no man should...bad for the hands). this will eat away at the protective wax coating that you have built up by properly and frequently waxing your car (you do wax it don't you??).

- third rinsing with a gentle stream of water much like when you originally wet the car removes all of the suds. starting at the top is usually best, as the water will help to rinse the lower panels on it's way down.

- lastly, drying your JGY tuned wundercar requires a soft terry cloth preferably cotton. Chamois is cool, but use of these creates swirl marks in your finish that are more evident as time goes on. When washing your towels that you use to dry your vehicle, avoid fabric softener because strangely enough that softness adder alters the fabric in such a way that it will scratch your finish.

- all of this should be done in the shade if possible.

So....if that waterless product somehow comes close to the procedure above, then you are in good shape. But we know that aint the case. Somehow it will make your car look decent for the moment so it has it's place...but I would never use something like that.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:28 PM
Little Sexy Road Magnet

Brennan@JGY is on a distinguished road

Descriptive

'03 WRX ----------catback, injen cai, coilovers, xxr527's, cobb heat shield, prosport bc, pyle double din
'03 Jeep Wrangler -4inch zone susp. lift with 35's, 15inch beadlocks, track bar, pitman arm, steering stabilizer.